The LinkSwitch-3 family of ICs dramatically simplifies low power CV/CC charger designs by eliminating an optocoupler and secondary control circuitry. The device introduces a revolutionary control technique to provide very accurate output voltage and current regulation, compensating for transformer and internal parameter tolerances along with input voltage variations.
The device incorporates a 725 V power MOSFET, a novel ON/OFF control state machine, a high-voltage switched current source for self biasing, frequency jittering, cycle-by-cycle current limit and hysteretic thermal shutdown circuitry onto a monolithic IC.
Dramatically Simplifies CV/CC Converters
- Eliminates optocoupler and all secondary CV/CC control circuitry
- Eliminates all control loop compensation circuitry
Advanced Performance Features
- Compensates for transformer inductance tolerances, input line voltage variations, and cable voltage drop
- Very tight IC parameter tolerances using proprietary trimming technology
- Frequency jittering greatly reduces EMI filter cost
- Programmable switching frequency up to 85 kHz to reduce transformer size
- Minimum operation frequency fixed to improve transient load response
Advanced Protection/Safety Features
- Hysteretic thermal shutdown – automatic recovery reduces power supply returns from the field
- Meets high-voltage creepage requirements between DRAIN and all other pins both on the PCB and at the package
EcoSmart™– Energy Efficient
- Easily meets all global energy efficiency regulations with no added components
- No-load consumption at 230 VAC input with bias winding <30 mW
- Halogen free and RoHS compliant package
- Chargers for cell/cordless phones
- MP3/portable audio devices
|Output Power (Watts)1,2,3,4|
|D (SO-8) Package|
|7.5 W||7.5 W|
|Product5||K (eSOP) and E (eSIP) Packages|
|8.5 W||9 W|
|10 W||10 W|
|10 W||10 W|
- Assumes minimum input DC voltage >90 VDC, KP ≥1 (Recommend KP ≥1.15 for accurate CC regulation), η >78%, DMAX <55%.
- Output power capability is reduced if a lower input voltage is used.
- Minimum continuous power with adequate heat sink measured at 50 °C ambient with device junction below 110 °C.
- Assumes bias winding is used to supply BYPASS pin.
- Package: D: SO-8C, E: eSIP-7C, K: eSOP-12B